machine knitting midgauge standard bulky machknit knit machine-knit patterns

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Super warm hat for winter

Having a hard time motivating myself to knit these days.  Ironic since I do have all the time in the world staying home, hiding from the pandemic.  But, thought I would try a hat for my son.  Winter is coming, for sure. If you want to follow this pattern, you'll need to use a ribber.  Maybe you could do a mock rib for the cuff, but I don't know how that would look, haven't tried it.

This one is extra super warm because it's doubled.  Measurements are about 21" around and 9" tall with the rib folded.  If a person wanted a slouch-look, you wouldn't have to fold the cuff.  This is an adult sized hat, so if you need a different size, you'll have to adjust stitches and rows.

 My gauge with Tamm Sport was 7 stitches and 9 rows to one inch.
*I started with waste yarn, every other needle, over 148 needles. Knit about an inch then changed to the main yarn.  (No need to cast on, just knit right over the waste yarn.) 
*Knit one row with the eon arrangement then bring all needles to work.  
*Knit 100 rows of the stockinette, then transfer to 1 x 1 rib.  
*Knit 60 rows rib, then transfer back to stockinette. 
* Knit 99 rows so that the carriage ends up on the left.  
*Transfer to every other needle, knit one row left to right. Leave a long tail of the main yarn.  
*Take off on about an inch of waste yarn, still in the eon arrangement.
* Fold the hat in half so the two ends meet and hand sew the stitches together.  Remove waste yarn and cinch the stitches as tight as you can.  
*Then seam the side with a mattress stitch outside and inside.

I made two I cords for the top, not a pom pom, because my son doesn't like pom poms.  They are 5 stitches wide and 80 rows long.  (With I cord, the knitting is really only 40 rows long.) I stuffed the two ends into the hole at the top, which conveniently closes it up.  secured the ends on the inside.  Then I tied a knot on the outside top. (You can kind of see it in the picture.) Both ends also have a knot.  Actually I do like pom poms.  One would cover the top hole nicely too.
I would not say this is a quick-to-knit hat because of the transferring of stitches.  However, some acrylic yarns if used single layer are not warm enough in our climate, so the doubled ones are better.  If you wanted, you could put a fairisle pattern on the top half. 

2 comments:

steel breeze said...

Nice hat! I'm guessing this is for standard gauge machines? We don't have Tamm yarn in the UK! :)

Mar said...

Yes, standard. Should have said so.