machine knitting midgauge standard bulky machknit knit machine-knit patterns

Monday, April 28, 2014

Machine Knit Lutin

Sometimes I like to just fool around on my knitting machines with no big goal in mind.  I found this little guy on Ravelry and converted it to a machine knit toy.  I thought it was as cute as a bug's ear.  With no embroidery on the face and no stuffing except for the head, he looks vintage to me.  I tweaked the original pattern a little, especially the extremities because I found it really hard to tie the knots with the fabric doubled.  Otherwise all credit goes to Phildar.

I tried taking pictures of him without a flash and consequently, got weird folds and dark shadows.  He's  really a nice clean baby blue.  Honest!

I built the schematic in DesignaKnit and sometimes the program puts the even numbers on the left and the odd numbers on the right----opposite to where you want your carriage to be.  So, I suggest you ignore one side and just do the same on the other side since the sides are a mirror image. I knit him on a standard gauge machine but you could do your math and redo the pattern to fit a midgauge or bulky.  Lutin is knit in 3 pieces.  Two identical bodies and one hat. He measures about 10" tall and 8" wide.  Good for an extra baby gift, charity or yourself (no diaper changing involved.)

I hope you can read my directions----Blogger reduced the size a little.  If you click on the diagram you will get a slightly larger picture.  Then you can right click and save the image to your Paint program (or any other image processing program.)  It should enlarge a little and be easier to read.

9 comments:

GrimGrandma said...

Definitely cute as a bug!

Mar said...

Thank you! I plan to knit some more and donate them to the visiting nurses.

kel said...

I'ld like to knit some of these for the Carmelite hospital for children,however I don't understand the directions. I'm not new to using the knitting machine, but I don't use computer programs. I'm confused as to how to read the lines next to the pattern. Can you give a quick translation on what
each series of numbers represents? Thank you so much for your time.

Mar said...

At row zero, cast on 22 stitches. Knit to Row 24 and cast on 46 stitches. On row 25 cast on 46 stitches. Knit to row 31 and deccrease 8 stitches. On row 32 decrease 8 stitches.

The way DAK writes things, is first they tell you a row number. Then either + increase or –decrease so many stitches every so many rows so many times. So for example, on row 49 decrease 2 stitches every 2 rows 6 times. hope that helps you understand.

Jack said...

Oh my! That was awesome! Thanks for posting. These are great instructions. I hope I can make one :)

inc1961 said...

LOVE This little guy! I have acquired an LK100 and once I’ve done some swatching this pattern will be perfect for learning a few techniques!

Not to mention we’re expecting our first grandchild in January. A non discriminating recipient of my experimental efforts!

inc1961 said...

I. Going to try this, but I have a bulky (lk100). It I’m so glad you posted as I was looking at the hand knit version last night thinking...I should be able to do that on the machine?

Going to give it a whirl.

This and your baby pants!

inc1961 said...

FYI made a prototype using ugly yarn.

Basically 1/2 scale (ie2 stitches on your pattern works as 1 stitch on the bulky)

It was super simple as all the drecreaes are basically one stitch one whichever side the carriage is on until row 45 and then put 1/2 on hold and decrease on inside leg one stitch every other row (or every time the carriage is on the inseam side.

Of course there’s more to it, but super simple.

Off to buy some nicer yarn!

Thank you!

inc1961 said...

Needs a few adjustments as in longer arms and legs as too difficult to knit the bulkier yarn. But overal pleased

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/schizophrenic/lutin

https://images4-e.ravelrycache.com/uploads/schizophrenic/550131644/537B62C6-76B4-46F1-BECA-F96AD7248CE8_medium2.jpeg