machine knitting midgauge standard bulky machknit knit machine-knit patterns

Friday, March 28, 2014

2002 Winter Olympics Salt Lake City Dale of Norway Sweater

I finally finished my nephew's Salt Lake City Dale of Norway cardigan.  I purchased the hand knitting pattern, scanned the graph into DAK and changed it into a stitch pattern.   I modified it to fit on my Brother 970 machine and changed the colors to just black and white, as requested.  I used Schuss Plus worsted wool, which was a real workout on the standard machine.  It made a wonderfully sturdy fabric, though, and will be like a jacket for him.  For the first time, I used a full needle rib for the buttonhole and button plackets and was really pleased with how much body they had compared to the 1x1 ribbing.  Don't know why I hadn't done that before.

Whew, am I glad to get that sweater done.  From request to completion was about 3 years.  Knitting time about 2 weeks.  He promised a picture of himself wearing it, but that is yet to be forthcoming.  I think it will be a while before I knit another one.  Too much concentration and too much work!  I think over the years I have knit 32 of these Norwegian sweaters for family members.    But anyway, with that promise fulfilled, I can move on to other things.

7 comments:

Slisen said...

Absolutely gorgeous...good job! I'm glad you tried FNR bands, I really like it on the couple cardies I've used it on.

steel breeze said...

That looks lovely, can you knit me one?

(grinning, ducking, running) :D

Maureen said...

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job.

Mar said...

Thanks to both of you. I talked to my sister last night and she said he wears it all the time. With warmer weather approaching, that will end. But I'm pleased none-the-less.

Mar said...

Jane---it would take A LOT to get me to knit one exactly like this any time soon. The pain will wear off, though, and I'm likely to do it again some day. I think if the yarn knit more smoothly, I wouldn't be so shell shocked.

dSuzG said...

Great job, Mar! Been surfing your blog looking for a project...you inspire me! Just wish I still have this desire to knit all that I can when I retire

Mar said...

I bet you will, Suz. You are a wonderful knitter now!