After a couple of mishaps (the main one not getting the carriage seated properly on the bed and it made a terrible clanking sound) I had some success. The first thing I made was a baby hat. Not so many stitches and rows, so it went faster than some other projects I hoped to make. I shoulda/coulda wiped out the partial stars on the seam edges, but just wanted to see if it would chug along correctly. No dropped stitches, feeling pretty good about things. This baby hat wouldn't be warm enough in a Minnesota winter, but under the hood of a snowsuit would be ok.
The rib looks ok (better than the picture shows) but I coulda/shoulda done that part with the ribber in 1/10 the time. (Next time.) The pattern is large snowflakes from a Brother G carriage book.
So- gaining some confidence, I programmed in another Brother G carriage pattern (073) adding 2 x 2 staggered edgings so it wouldn't roll. I love this design. My friend Sandy I. has made gorgeous baby blankets with it. I made it long--- the length is the width worn--- and have worn it doubled since it wouldn't be super warm with a single layer using this particular yarn. Since this cowl is 127 stitches and 372 rows it took maybe 16 hours to knit! I kitchenered the first row to the last but that's all I had to do other than hiding 2 yarn tails. Here's a screen shot of the DAK pattern:
And a picture of the cowl folded double:
I have read that one shouldn't steam garter carriage stuff, so I didn't. The picture doesn't show the texture as nice as it is in person, Nice! I like it.
I have some wool that would be warm enough with a single layer, so I changed the middle pattern to half. Same Brother pattern. Haven't knit it yet, but it's on my to-do list. This is a screen shot of that pattern:
Being 68 stitches it will go a little faster.
Here's the original 24 st punch card pattern from Brother that I manipulated in DAK.
It's getting cold here already so the extra winter wear is welcome.