machine knitting midgauge standard bulky machknit knit machine-knit patterns

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The never-ending cone of pink acrylic

There must be some kind of Murphy's Law associated with a cone of yarn you want to use up and can't quite allow yourself to throw away. The other day I made a 1 x 1 rib little girl's scarf and there's still enough yarn to make another hat to go with it. I think out of this one cone I've made 3 hats, two scarves, a doll-sized shrug and a baby sized shrug. And the final thing will be one more hat. Geesh.
I made a different edging on this one.

The scarf is 50 some stitches of 1 x 1 rib at T 6. I think it's about 320 rows. After binding off, I picked up 3 stitches on one side, set my carriage to slip one way. Knit 30rows, T6, (which is really 15 rows of actual knitting) to make an I cord. Picked up a whole stitch 10 rows back and hung it on the middle needle ro make a loop. Knit another 30 rows, picked up a whole stitch 10rows back and repeated one more time. Bound off by putting the two outer stitches on the center needle and bound that off. I spaced 5 more across and repeated on the other end of the scarf. Sewing in the ends and neatening up the loops took a little time, but I don't mind doing that while watching a movie. Onward and more hat and I can call this cone a done deal.

I'm really pleased that my ribber is knitting so nicely. I had tried the credit card test where you pull out 10 end needles and two credit cards are supposed to fit under the needles and on top of the ribber gate pegs. Mine isn't as close as it should be. After trying several adjustments vertically, I decided since it was knitting ok, I'd let it be.